After I read my sister NakedSha's post on 20 things she learnt from her teenage years, I was inspired to do mine.
I
turned 20 on June 13th, I am grateful for the gift of life, the gift
of love and every other gift I have been lucky to receive. Over time
I have learnt a couple of things that make me the woman I am today. I
hope to keep learning, and experiencing life and all it has to offer.
20s? Bring it on!
20 Things I Have Learnt In My 2 Decades Of Being on Earth.
1.
I have learnt to live my own life , and the importance of basing my
decisions on my personal preferences, goals and ambitions not any one
else's. Your parents have lived their lives, learn to live yours.
2.
Having a go-getter mentality will benefit you immensely. Point and
kill whatever it is you wish to have. Sitting around waiting for
something to happen for you is not smart.
3.
Deeply focus on working on yourself and becoming the best you that
you can be so nobody in the whole damn world will EVER have a reason
to make you feel inadequate.
4.
Know when to swallow your words.... once they are out, they are not
going back in.
5.
Someone once told me "stop justifying, start compromising"
, probably one of the best pieces of advice I have received.
6.
It's alright to be optimistic, but it is even better to be realistic.
7.
Time will screw you up , be-friend it early, don't waste it ,
otherwise you'll wake up one day wonder where it all went.
8.
Embrace criticism when necessary.
9.
There are things I CAN afford to give WITHOUT receiving.
Reciprocation isn't always necessary. Love is NOT one of those
things, neither is RESPECT. If I give any of these two things, I
better be getting them back.
8.
Do something outrageous once in a while. For the thrill.
9.
They say PRIDE kills, I agree...but so does the lack of it.
10.
The Golden Rule: "Do to others as you would like others to do it
you".... is underrated. With time and age , I have learnt how
important this rule is.
11.
It is imperative to master the art of treating minor fuck-ups. When
you put something in check from the beginning, it doesn't get the
opportunity to come back and bite you in the ass.
12.
Be happy , well because...why not?
13.
We always try to determine our happiness based on other people's
happiness. Instead of trying to be happy because we just are, we aim
to be HAPPIER than others and we define this as truly being "happy".
That is such a lie and a recipe for frustration. Happiness =/= being
the happiest.
14.
Not every piece of advice from an older person is sound advice.
15.
Life is not a rehearsal, you only get one shot.
16.
Learn the importance of weak ties. Yes, your close, "bestest"
friends are important but once in a while, get out of your comfort
zone of close knit friends and open your mind to new experiences with
weak ties. This is the time to be connecting, not just with the same
people, having the same conversations but with those who see things
differently from you.
17.
Making friends and knowing how to network with people is a skill I
thank the heavens that I adopted early on in life. It will get you far.
18.
Having a negative view on something without even experiencing it is
not wise. Your parents' turbulent marriage might not be yours in the
future, your former classmate's dead-end and failing career is not
yours. Don't let other people's bad experiences deter you from
trying.
19.
I'm glad I learnt early.. how to forgive. All the times I have
forgiven, I did it for me. I freed myself.
20.
In this long and sometimes tedious journey that is life, it is very
important to travel lightl. Drop the baggage, let it go.
Iphy
4 comments:
10, 14, 16 18, O Yes.
Happy b.day in arrears. i coulda sworn u're older than 20...... :D
I agree. You look older than 20. It's a good thing though. Happy birthday!!!!
Love it, sister. Especially numbers 6 and 8.
Ok
Post a Comment