Friday, February 19, 2010

dedicated to F and other natural haired sisters.

I remember that I said i'll do a post about natural hair care tips for F.

well this is what I do. I am no expert but so far my method works for me. so I guess its good. but its a trial and error kinda thing...
find what works for you. diff methods and products work for diff people and hairtypes. hope mine works for you!!! :)


ok...this is what I do to my hair when it comes to moisturizing. I use all natural products. Natural, raw, unrefined shea butter from buttersandbars.com
If you order this online and it is kinda hard, just microwave it for like 20 seconds and it becomes a bit softer. (I don't microwave mine or anything because i like it thick)

ok.. then I also use virgin olive oil, or a hair oil with a mixture of olive oil, castor oil, sunflower oil. make sure there is no mineral oil or paraffinium liquidum (spelling?) in the oil. Its bad for natural hair texture.

So, every morning, I wash my hair (without shampoo). just like pour water on it and stuff like that. then after showering, i put the shea butter and oil and i'm good to go. I don't comb my hair because i kinda like it looking rough and all (like 'dada'..lol). but if u comb yours, try and do it when it's wet or extremely moisturized because this is when it is soft and breaks less.

i shampoo like once in two weeks, because when i shampoo my hair gets kinda dry.

I also deep condition twice a week. I use mayonnaise and olive oil. I use mayonnaise because of the protein it has and because it is moisturizing as well. I mix the mayo and olive oil, then I rub it on my hair, comb through and wrap with a shower cap and then a head turban and go to bed. Then I wash it off in the morning. But if you don't want to go to bed with it, leaving it on for 30 mins to an hour is enough for deep conditioning.

sometimes i use leave in conditioners . especially when I shampoo. I use kinky curly knot today leave in detangling conditioner. Its really good!! :)

so yea..that's it!! :)

hope this helped.

P.S I try to braid for the cold weather, because my hair gets really dry during this period. plus i noticed that conrows and braids stretch out my hair. right now i have braids on, if not this cold will just finish my hair, since i dont have much time these days to really pay attention to it.

Iphyigbogurl.


I am beginning to lose my bloggin mojo... :(


I want it back!!!!

school is a winsh!!!

don;t worry my lovers....lol.... Iphy shall return soonest!!!

kisses and hair oil
xx <3

13 comments:

Fragilelooks said...

you shld jst bcme a stylist. i love raw shea butter. bt d cmbinatn of my ex relaxer/shampoo@ mayo,destroyd my hair. i fink undastanding ur hair and hair products saves a lotta hair loss.

ee said...

Kinky curly products are the bomb.....Try kinky curly custard with the knot today...awesome result....Great curls definition....
I am a shea butter addict....lol
when u get bored with ur hair....visit natural hair(a group on fb)

F said...

My name in a blog post title... The blushing levels just went through the rough... :) Thanks, at least I have a regime to work with now. You have no idea how freaked out and clueless I was... All I knew was that I wanted natural hair, at least now I have a way to go about it. :D

juiceegal said...

Thats basically it, but lemme add that, instead of washing with just water, you could Co-wash every other day. Co washing means washing with just conditioner. I use Giovanni smooth as silk and Motions too. Also you could do away completely with shampoo and wash with baking soda or apple cider vinegar. Leaves ur hair squeaky clean and doesn't strip it of its essential oils, which shampoo does.
Also try mixing rosemary oil with ur conditioner, rosemary oil stimulates and invigorates the scalp.
I make most of my stuff down to my leave in conditioner. I tried making my own variation of kinky curly custard and i liked the outcome. Then again most people don't have the time and patience, so if you'll rather buy commercial products, look out for sulpahte and other harmful ingredients.
Shea butter is good, but i'll suggest melting in hot water, instead of the microwave cuz the microwave strips it of some of the natural ingredients. So put the shea butter in a plastic cup or container and insert the cup into a bowl of hot water, leave for about 10 mins. There are so many natural products that are good for ur hair, honey, aloe vera gel, flax seed gel, vegetable glycerin, mango butter etc etc. Do ur research, trial and error. Find what works for u, what works for iphy might not work for u, what works for me might not work for Iphy, so u need to find what orks for u. Omg i've written up a whole essay..lol, sha u get my drift. Iphy ur hair is absolutely gorgeous. Yayyy for us natural sisters...lol. x

F said...

Ok... heard a bit about co-washing before but this helps a lot... More info is always good. :)

By the way, without meaning to come off as a demanding bitch (first hair tips now more stress), we want our story now! How far with Juachi and her hilariously nosy mother? And what does Juachi mean, by the way... It's such a pretty name...

Myne said...

I use all natural shea butter but it leaves a residue in my hair, is it just mine?

And Iphy, please when is the story continuing?

Jennifer A. said...

I love natural-ness. Currently braiding my hair as I type. I use mayo too, and Organic Root Stimulator prods. Trying to get into the Jojoba oil usage :)

Jennifer A. said...

(I'm buying into this idea of not shampooing all the time).

Anonymous said...

yay to natural hair. I'm transitioning and right now it's half and half with my hair a little past shoulder length. I wish I was brave enough to for a major cut like you lol

Blogoratti said...

Don't you dare lose that blogging mojo...you hear?

Like i said before..you totally rock the natural look. Two thumbs up!

LucidLilith said...

thanks for the tips! am looking for ways to rock my look better.

iphyigbogurl said...

@Fragilelooks..... lol..thanks ma'am.
yea..understanding is the key.

@KabiOsi....... yea... i use the curly custard as well.... love it!!

@F... lol..ur welcome.

@JUICEGAL...... mehn.... u are just an expert sha.... whenever i have a hair crises, i'll just come back to this post and look at ur comment... lol ..thanks a lot for the info!! :)

@ F.... lol...dont worry i shall soon return with the Juachi episodes...lol... "Juachi" means "ask God"

@Myne.... yea sometimes it does that to mine to..... but with time it goes away.... what you can do is heat it up till it becomes very oily and liquidy..... then it might not leave residue anymore.


@Jaycee.... my mum uses the organic root stimulator products... i love it..for relaxed hair tho.....i try not to use it because i dont like non natural products for natural hair.... some of their products have mineral oil and the rest

@Suru..... yay u!! seems like ur natural hair is longer than the mini afro type, if ur hair is shoulder lenght and half of it is natural then doin a chop wont make it low.. it would already be a reasonably sized afro... :)

@blogoratti.... lol...i won't
and thanks a lot!! :)

@Lucid.... Your welcome!!
xx

Flourishing Florida said...

i've d same camera!!!!!!!!


i had dreadlocks for 3 years. den, a week to giving birth, i chopped it all off. wen pple lament abt it, i tell dem that na labour cause am. but now, i just cut my hair low. i wanted to wear it natural, no product except hair oil, but hubby insists a little sporty waves wouldn't hurt.


am going to try some of d products u mentioned. ur hair looks very nice.


* r u wearing contacts?? ur eyes r bluish *