In exactly 12 days and one hour, I will be on a flight back to Nigeria. I am moving back home for NYSC/work/finding a career path/taking a break before grad school. If you had asked me if I am moving home 3 months ago, I would have said no as I had an internship back in TX and was job-hunting for a full time job in NY. But, two months ago, I quit my job-hunting, gave up my OPT (for my non-yankee people...OPT is what authorizes you as a non-American to work in America for a year or sometimes more) and decided to carry my ghana must waka and waka back home.
I came to that point where I needed to make a decision on what exactly I want to do with my life and decided that moving back to Nigeria for a year or 2 before grad school will be a better option for me because:
1. Seeing as I intend to live and settle down in Nigeria later in life, it's important that I do this whole NYSC thing (NOT looking forward to it AT ALL) and since I would like work experience before grad school..I'd be killing two birds with one stone with work and NYSC in one year.
2. Since I am taking a break before grad school, I'd rather move back home and put my foot in..you know..test the waters so I can have a clear perspective on what exactly the business climate is like so after my master's I can make an INFORMED decision on what exactly I want to go into career wise and what not.
3. I am young and in the adventurous/explorative/experimental phase of my life s why not?
4. I hate school and everything that has to do with school, so this move to Nigeria is a a breath of fresh air as I can mentally escape thinking about grad school for a while...honestly, If I could close my eyes, say abracadabra, open them and have an MBA, all will be right with my world. I really don't want to go through the process of school again. BUT at the same time, I want to. I CAN'T settle for a bachelor's degree. I need more . In this day and age where a bachelor's degree is like water and is nearly equivalent to a high school certificate...can't settle with that. Plus, every member of my family, from my parents to siblings have at least one master's degree...I can't carry last with that one.
Anyway...so yeah. I am moving back to Nigeria. Abuja to be precise.
How do I feel?
Scared
Anxious
Happy
Expectant
Hopeful
Impatient
Excited
Eager
Determined
I guess I'll start counting down the days till I arrive.
I hope and prepare for the best.
Moving is never easy, I've been in this country for some 4 years...I've gotten used to some things, gotten comfortable in my space and environment
but I'm not one to avoid change. I'll get used to my new environment soon enough.
Here's to moving to Nigeria and living in Nigeria as an adult.
When I left, I was a young 16 year old leaving the care of her mummy and daddy. Now I'm a young adult going back to figure her life out.
Let the rest of my life begin!
I will keep you guys posted per usual
Your's truly,
Iphy
11 comments:
How come you're not moving to PH? Would u be staying on your own? or still with family? I wish you plenty good luck and success muah!
Best of luck to you ma'am.
@Anonymous.... Why would I move back to PH when I was raised there and lived there for 13.5 years? I like change.
Plus, my parents and me don't really fancy the whole moving back home with parents after graduation. it's part of growing up I guess.
Yes, my parents will still support me financially till i'm fully established in life, but not under their roof.
Thanks for the kind wishes.
@LadyNgo ....Thanks nne!
Yay Ify, that's really nice :) Maybe you'll even run into a nice man too ;) lol jkes... Good luck and God's grace be with you in the next phase of your life oh, amen.
@Sonia ...Thanks hun. LOL @ run into a nice man....as much as that is not the focus now..it won't hurt to dabble in man/woman matters for the fun....so, maybe. haha
Amen dear. Thanks for the prayer.
welcome back home.........
I did exactly the same thing. Gave up opt and moved back. About to do nysc and hopefully finally get a good paying job then do my masters. Welcome back and come andd hang out.
Hopefully Nigeria will be more than you expected....I pray everything goes well for you, who knows?
I hope you find everything you are looking for and more. I could do that right now but I might have to wait a few more years now. And Abuja is a wonderful place to be!
@JUGZ Thank you miss
@Sugabelly We are on the same wavelength then! Hopefully it all works out for us.
@SisiYemmie Thank you Sisi... I hope so too!
@Igbophilia Amen and Amen. Thank you for your kind wishes :)
gosh u r just like me. i mived back in may i hate school and wish i could just get an mba degree just by wishing for it. Trying to figure out my career path too. it isnt easy as a young adult.
Post a Comment