Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Act Like A Lady, Think Like A Lady



About two years ago I joined this book club online that sent me books for a ridiculously cheap price so I bought a whole bunch of books from them. One of the books I bought was Steve Harvey's Act Like A Lady, Think Like A Man. I still haven't read the book till today frankly because of laziness, lack of interest and the fact that I usually like fiction, history books and self-help and motivational books. Now, one might argue that Act Like A Lady, Think Like A Man is a self-help book but personally I don't really consider it one, maybe because I haven't even read it.

I am the judge-a-book-by-it's-cover-or-title kind of person. I admit I should learn to see things beyond their initial packaging but I really don't and I am working on it. That is actually the MAIN reason I haven't read ALALTLAM (Act Lika A Lady, Think Like A Man). The title irritated me slightly so I lost interest in the book. My problem with the title is that it suggests that for a relationship to thrive, a woman has to replace her own mentality with that of the man's. From the get go, the woman is taught that she is going into some kind of battlefield and the only way to succeed is to get into the head of the opponent. THIS IS MY ISSUE WITH THESE KIND OF BOOKS. Relationships are portrayed a kind of battle for who has the upper hand. It's seen as a race. And for women to "win" we have to think like the "natural winners" - the men.

My Human Sexuality professor in undergrad (who's also a really good psychologist and therapist) said something during one of his very entertaining class sessions. He said "when we start seeing male/female relationships as COMPLEMENTARY rather than COMPETITIVE we will have better unions" .  This statement stuck with me and will probably stick with me for a long time. 
The thing about these kind of books that irk me is that there is a premonition -even before we enter romantic relationships- that love and relationship is a battle field and you better come armed to the teeth and ready to use tactics - like the ones these books teach us- to win this "war". WE ARE TAUGHT BY SOCIETY TO SEE RELATIONSHIPS AS COMPETITIVE. And of course, nobody wants to be a loser. 

Even more annoying for me is that these books are always targeted towards women. There is a message behind that. The underlying message is "woman, you automatically on the losing end and you need to CHANGE your natural mentality and attitude and thought processes to succeed in a relationship". 


I personally think that if you read these women-it's-your-fault-and-you're-doing-it-wrong books like "Act like a lady,think like a man" for relationship advice then....  you are really sitting on a long everlasting thing you are already setting yourself up for failure.  My main issue with these sort of books is that they tell you that relationship issues automatically stem from the woman's end. Ever wonder why these "relationship advice/self-help" books are always targeted at women? How many "Think Like A Woman" or "How To Be The Man A Woman Wants" books do we see?


Yet, books like ALALTLAM flood the market. If you doubt me just walk into your local Barnes & Nobles and go to the relationship self-help aisle. Or do a quick Amazon search and see what comes up. 


I don't think you have to think like a man to successfully be with a man. And same goes for men, I disagree that you have to think like a woman to successfully be with a woman. 



Yes, members of the opposite sex need to understand each other and co-operate with each other to have successful relationships. But to totally lose yourself and aim to "think" like the other party in an attempt to "win" might be helpful in the beginning, but somewhere down the line, not so much. 


Act Like A Lady, Think Like A Lady.

Act Like A Man, Think Like A Man.

Mind games, tactics, etc are unnecessary. And if you find yourself ever having to use these tactics and mind games to "win" and "compete" in love, chances are you are not in an ideal relationship.



Just my 2 kobo on the issue.


Iphy 

15 comments:

Sonia N. Osi said...

I agree 100%.. Mind games and any kind of games sef are just stupid and there's no guide to a successful relationship abeg.. Especially since the dynamics of no two are the same.

NakedSha said...

Sonia, Gbam!

Myne said...

#nothingmoretoadd.

Luciano said...

I totally agree and i hate all those books that give relationship guidelines targeted at the female audience

dayor said...

Very well said..there should be no rules guiding relationships abeg..

Molara Brown said...

nothing more to add or remove. I particularly hate relationship/self-help books, they are not worth my 1 cent.

Worship and Swag said...

Yes, you are e-famous o!

I have nothing to add. It seems like every relationship coach in the world is out to get desperate clients, who want to do desperate things to better their relationships. Desperate situations call for desperate measures.

The human/woman mind is most pliable when made to believe that what "works" with men can be changed on account of several testimonies from similar women. Heck it's true, but this is where the gullible fall because they take it all in; hook, line, and sinker.

P.S. I like the way you write :)

iphyigbogurl said...

@Sonia... yes yes and yes. There is no universal guide

@Myne, Luciano, Dayor, 'Lara We are on the same wavelength :)

@Worship and Swag "but this is where the gullible fall because they take it all in; hook, line, and sinker." <------ THIS!

Thanks for stopping by ladies :)

OmogeNaija said...

Hi Iphy, Good job! When I first saw the book with a book vendor, I was angry I just tossed it aside. I ranted about it in my BB group saying I can't act like a lady and think like a man, why because, I'm a woman, I should act and think like a lady, if I think like a man, then there would be two men in the relationship. A friend and some others who have read it however said I got it all wrong, according to her and them, it's just to understand how men think. I have bought it but not read it, I think I might conclude that Harvey did not do justice to the title.
I have seen IK Osadiuwa's tweets on finding a man on practically all the popular blogs and I'm asking, na babe dey find man abi na man dey find babe, I think a lady (whether searching or married)should just work towards being a good person.

Unknown said...

Truly nothing more to add.This is more than a 2kobo opinion dearie.Its more of a wake up call for ladies to look inward and figure how to be the very best of who we are and not look to be a man where 'we never become women finish' especially in relationships!

Tomi O said...

I Totally agree. My exact thought anytime I see "Act like a lady think like a man"

Cee said...

Love your Blog! seriously I've stalking you online and you are Amazing :) Keep up the good work.

http://dairyofabutterfly.blogspot.dk/

iphyigbogurl said...

Thank you ladies for stopping by and leaving your 2 cents. :)

iphyigbogurl said...

Thank you ladies for stopping by and leaving your 2 cents. :)

Unknown said...

You may win with the mind games
but you are setting yourself up
for a life of mind games
no vulnerability or reality