Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Igbo names....... some of my favs... :)

OK...so I am doing this post for ms.Dufa....
she wanted a list of nice igbo names.....(to name her pikins...lol)
and i love picking names!!! so here goes......

My favs. (short form in bracket)
girl names:

Obianujuaku: She came in time of wealth/plenty (oby, uju, aku)
Akunne- Mothers wealth (aku)
kosisochukwu- however it pleases God/ The way it pleases God (kossy)
onyinye- Gift/something precious (onyi?? not sure tho)
Ifunaya- Love (ify)
Ifeoma- good thing/beautiful thing/ precious thing (ify)
Olanna-- Father's Gold (Ola)
Lotanna- Remember your father
Ezinne- Good mother
Nkemakonam- Let my own not be scarce/ may i never lack what is mine (nkem, akonam)
Nkiruka- The future is great (nkiru, nikki(lol)]
Nnedi- My mother is alive/ my mother is present *guy version=Nnamdi (father is alive)*
Adaora-- First daughter of the people *Ora means people, ADA means first daughter*
Ogochukwu- God's gift/blessing (Ogo)
Nneamaka- mother is beautiful/supreme (Amaka)
Akudinobi- Wealth is in the Heart (Aku) *this name is unisex*
Chidera- God has written (Dera)
Zelinjo --- Avoid sin/evil (Zel).... *i really like this one*


lol...as u can see.. I love names with 'Aku' in them....... because it means wealth!!! :)


Guy names:
Chukwukeluo -- God has created/ God created (Keluo, kels (lol)]
Chukwuononso-- God is near (Nonso)
Chika-- God is supreme
Uchenna- God's will (Uche)
Izuchukwu - God's decision/will (Izu)
Onyekachi - Who is greater than God (onyeka, kachi)
Kachiku- As God says (Kachi)
Jideofor- Ok...so the meaning of this name and translation is weird...... word for word..it means "hold the ofor"
the ofor was used in the olden days as a sign of clear conscience (if u have the ofor in your posession, u shouldn't lie or steal, or be guilty of any wrong-doing)
therefore..... JIDEOFOR...means "To have a good and clear conscience"
Ekene- Thanks/praise
Olisaemeka- God has done great (Olisa, Emeka)


Ok...so those are the ones i can think of for now..... :)
hope u like them ....lol
some of them are in my dialect (anambra dialect) ...such as Ifeoma and Ifunaya... (central igbo says Iheoma and Ihunaya)


I would have pronounced them on an audio clip..but i still havent figured out how to add an audio clip to my post.. :(

ah well........

P.s two of my names are in there......... I just had to add those
:)

Yours truly,
xx

35 comments:

The Girl with the Red Hair said...

1st!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Girl with the Red Hair said...

Nnamdi is Yoruba's Babatunde

So good to know the meaning of all these beautiful names

Sassy Trends said...

Hmnnn, the way people dey code that "KACHI" ehn, you go think sey na one fine jamaican name.
So na ibo?lollol

And the way una dey shorten the name gan nawa o.. "DERA" and "ZEL" is just plain sexy..hmnnn

I will definitely give my kids an igbo name.
Nice post.
Well done babes.
xx

Ms. 'dufa said...

A post dedicated to me? I'm i dreaming *goes to write a speech*

Ms. 'dufa said...

I'll like to thank my mum for keeping me healthy with so much food, my dad for buying d computer, blogsville for inspiring me and IPHY! For all these names!

I LOVE almost all the girl names. My igbo children are going to have beautiful names! Thanks to U!

Girl: Zelinjo, Kosisochuku, Olanna, Ezinne, Nneamaka, Akunne, Nkiruka, Ifunaya

Boy:Chukwukeluo, Chika, Izuchukwu, Ekenne, Olisaemeka

Seeing as I love my mum so much, I love all d names with 'nne' in it.

I'm going to print it out. Thanks! xoxo

LG said...

*fumming* how come my name isnt there? nne maka'why??????? :)

Blogoratti said...

@iigurl,I'm guessing your name is ifunaya and the other is...

Anonymous said...

lol..one of my names is there!!

Spesh said...

Wow!
I wud hav luvd to hear the audio............but all the same,lovely names!

catchme said...

hmm my name's there too
i know d two that r urs
lol
im someone u kno well
but in general nyc 1
imma use deez names for all ma pikins (lol) to come

Admin said...

nice.i dont understand cos i ne be igbo,did u follow the steps i told u to insert the audio

Anonymous said...

I too love names with Aku in it....coz I have one, Akuada :)

Love the blog btw...

Anonymous said...

the first one..i love it cos thats my elder sisters name but her own is obianujunwa..a child that came when there was plenty.
i love kamsiyoochukwu...how i asked God.
kosizam:how he answered me.

i just loveeeeeeeee igbo names.
i love zikora(zikoranachukwudinma):show the world that God is good.

Rene said...

i'm definitely gonna give my children igbo names.

Myne said...

I'm dancing right now, you know why? My name is in there. Thanks sweetie, mwah! I'm bookmarking this page this collection is just too lovely and I'm so bad with names.


What my name is? It's an easy guess right? LOL

uNWrItten* said...

ahhhhh lekwa this babe..u know ur igbo oo..nothing do u!
my name is not in there :(
but its all good tho...thanks for the comments on my last post...dont worry next time u shall be first ehn?..i nugo?..lol
muah!

Anonymous said...

Hey! why isnt there Naetochukwu and Chimamanda huh? are you biased or sth? lol....

iphyigbogurl said...

@girl with red hair
yea.. Nnmadi and babtunde are the same... :)

@sassy...looool...akchi jamaican name?? lol
no mind all these naija boys..i met a guy named Odion....the guy come change am to DEON!!! lol

@ms Dufa...ur welcome!!! I love the ones u chose as well.....beautiful!!!one of the names u chose is my middle name...lol

@LG...nne...wetin be ur name? i no know am oh....fill me in...

@blogoratti.....lol......u might be right or wrong .. :)

@Nwanyi.... aww...which one> :D

@my world..thanks!!

@catchme... yea i kno u!!!

@muyiwa... i dont get it....how do i upload it from my laptop..its giving me a copy and paste option... :(

@anonymous....thanks 4 stopping by

@leggy...yea...those names are cool too

@Rene....am glad!!! i hope am the one that inspired u oh!!..lol

@Myne....yay!! whats ur name..i cant guess it oh...care to tell?..lol

@unwritten...nwanne its not beans oh....lool ....
the day i'll be first on ur blog..I go pop palmwine bottle...lol..... :D

@Chari....biased ke?..lol..how?
those names are not one of my favorites.... they are unique but not my favorites...
biased how sha?

David.фаворит Бога номер-один said...

HAHAHA!!! see as you just dey spit igbo...

where's my name na?

LOL @ my twin brother...

C said...

HEY! first time here

Ehen, so my name didn't appear. Luckily for you i found one of my 3rd names lol, I have so many (onyinye)..i also like Dera (chidera) alot

Nice blog..x

iphyigbogurl said...

lol...david....oya make i dash u igbo name....from today ur igbo name is emeka...lol
like it or not!!

@chi-chi.....thanks for stopping by!!
xx

Original Mgbeke said...

Very niiceee. i really like Zelinjo and Lotanna. I thought Lotanna was a guy name though.

Admin said...

@iphy,u can easily upload on the right side of your blog page,just copy the html code,click on the Layout tag,then you will see Add a Gadget,so it will pop out,then click on the third one that is EDIT HTML/JAVASCRIPT,then copy the HTML code there,click on save,you are done.thats it

David.фаворит Бога номер-один said...

me emeka? of all names? YOU ARE VERY MAD!!! lol

iphyigbogurl said...

come oh..... oya what is wrong with Emeka?
ur talkin as if its a horrible name...
its a sexy name oh!!
u berra recognize!!

iphyigbogurl said...

@mgbeks..... yea i love zelinjo!
oh..and lotanna is unisex..i forgot to add that... :)

@muyiwa.... thanks! ok..but i'm a bit confused (lol...i am a bush girl sha...kai!!)
html copied from where?
the audio file is on my laptop....am i goin to copy and paste? or do i have to upload it to the internet then copy and paste the html from the website?

Anonymous said...

lol was jus effin wichu joo...I no be igbo man buh I love those your unique names dieeeeee!!! If I hear any unique igbo name that has a sweet meaning I jus might name one o ma kidz that...who knows?

tobenna said...

tobenna
tobenna
tobenna
'Nuff said.
Nice to see a number of Igbo names.
I'm looking for names for me girl.
Chiemelie and Chetanna sound pretty good to me too...

TaioFierce Ameen said...

this is so gud, even though I aint Igbo, I av met people wit all the names above..... crzly shockin to realize...lol

iphyigbogurl said...

@Chari...i feel u jare..... the names are unique...... and they have nice meaning as well.....

@tobenna...looooool.... ok..Tobenna has been added to my list of fav names...lol
chetanna sounds god.... aww.. u have a baby? cool!!!

@tao fierce... lol.... thanks for stopping by ma'am.
xx

iphyigbogurl said...

@Chari...i feel u jare..... the names are unique...... and they have nice meaning as well.....

@tobenna...looooool.... ok..Tobenna has been added to my list of fav names...lol
chetanna sounds god.... aww.. u have a baby? cool!!!

@tao fierce... lol.... thanks for stopping by ma'am.
xx

LostGirl said...

lol....my sisters name is Ifeabatago which means the light has come...

...nyc names tho

Anonymous said...

I think zikoranachukwudinma is sooo unique wow never even heard of it?? Is it some diff dialect or something? I'm from anambra sha... im always looking for sweet sounding igbo names that can be shortened "Zikora" is so cute. hhmm my kids r having igbo names unfailingly say wetin?? lol

Nice post

Chidera said...

nyc.....i can see my name and mum's name there *blushin* Chidera and Zel...lol!
other rili nyc ibo names...
Chukwudumebi (Dumebi)
Chibusonma (Sonma)
Chibusonna (Sonna)
Chiadikobi (Chiadi or Kobi)
enjoy..
xxx.....

Anonymous said...

can see my name and my mom's name there Chidera and Zell *blushing* anyway some rili tad nyc ibo names
Chukwudumebi (Dumebi)
Chibusonma (Sonma)
Chibusonna (Sonna)
Chiadikobi (Chiadi or Kobi)
enjoy!
xxx....